- Opening lines: I am a girl of definitions, of logic, of black and white.
- Reason I picked up the book: I saw it on NetGalley and it sounded great. I LOVE dystopian books like The Hunger Games and the Divergent series, and this book did not disappoint.
- And what's this book about? The Scarlet Letter meets Divergent in this thoughtful and thrilling novel by bestselling author Cecelia Ahern. Celestine North lives a perfect life. She's a model daughter and sister, she's well-liked by her classmates and teachers, and she's dating the impossibly charming Art Crevan. But then Celestine encounters a situation where she makes an instinctive decision. She breaks a rule. And now faces life-changing repercussions. She could be imprisoned. She could be branded. She could be found FLAWED. In her breathtaking young adult debut, bestselling author Cecelia Ahern depicts a society where obedience is paramount and rebellion is punished. And where one young woman decides to take a stand that could cost her-everything.
- Favorite paragraph: "I'm not like you and Juniper, Granddad," I say sadly, feeling defeated. "This isn't who I am. I follow rules, I like logic, I solve problems. I don't speak out of turn on things I know nothing about. I don't want to stand out. I want to fit in. I don't want to be the poster girl for anything." "Oh, but you already are, Celestine. The tide is changing, and whether you wear the branding of the Flawed or you walk out of here a free woman, you'll never be the same girl you were. They'll be watching you, all of them, and who would you prefer they watch? You or the girl you're pretending to be?"
- Recommended for: Anyone who likes dystopian books or books that challenge society.
- Something to know: The author is actually the author of P.S. I Love You (which was made into a movie starring Hilary Swank) and this her first foray into YA books.
- What I would have changed: Absolutely nothing! This book was fantastic. I almost wish it was a standalone book though, because now I have to wait until 2017 for the next book in the series (trilogy, if I had to guess), called Perfect.
- Overall rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars.
- Where can I find this book? Click here to pre-order (it will be out on April 5, 2016), and read the first 5 chapters here for free, via Kindle.