Monday, January 18, 2016

Quick Pick: The Conspiracy of Us, by Maggie Hall

  • Opening lines: The piece of paper could have been anything.

    The spotlight behind me flashed acid green, then pink, then went dark. The pink still seared my retinas, lending a rosy glow to the folded page clenched in my fist.

    I stared at it for a few seconds, then reopened it.

    The six-inch square had just dropped out of Jack Bishop's bag.
  • Reason I picked up the book: I received it to review, actually a long time ago (Jan. 2015) and it sounded good. I'm now finally getting around to reviewing it :).
  • And what's this book about?
  • A fast-paced international escapade, laced with adrenaline, glamour, and romance--perfect for fans of Ally Carter

    Avery West's newfound family can shut down Prada when they want to shop in peace, and can just as easily order a bombing when they want to start a war. Part of a powerful and dangerous secret society called the Circle, they believe Avery is the key to an ancient prophecy. Some want to use her as a pawn. Some want her dead.

    To unravel the mystery putting her life in danger, Avery must follow a trail of clues from the monuments of Paris to the back alleys of Istanbul with two boys who work for the Circle—beautiful, volatile Stellan and mysterious, magnetic Jack. But as the clues expose a stunning conspiracy that might plunge the world into World War 3, she discovers that both boys are hiding secrets of their own. Now she will have to choose not only between freedom and family--but between the boy who might help her save the world, and the one she's falling in love with.

  • Recommended for: Anyone who likes a YA book that combines mystery with history.
  • Something to know: The book ends on a cliffhanger and the second novel, Map of Fates, is out March 8th. There will be a third book too, according to Goodreads, that will be published in 2017.
  • What I would have changed: Sometimes I found myself struggling to get through the book because the author throws a lot of (some made up, some not) history at us. It's hard to keep all the names and people straight, too. That being said, I am still interested in reading Map of Fates and actually just requested an ARC of it. 
  • Overall rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars.
  • Where can I find this book? Click here to purchase.
*Disclosure: I received a copy of this book for reviewing purposes. The opinions expressed here, however, are my own.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share buttons

About

Welcome to Books I Think You Should Read, which focuses on book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, and more.
Get new posts by email:

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Liz has read 0 books toward her goal of 20 books.
hide

Blog Archive