Monday, November 3, 2014

Book Review: Dirty Rowdy Thing, by Christina Lauren

I open my mouth, saying, "I should ..." and pointing vaguely north, toward home.

He nods, watching me put everything back on before he pats a heavy hand on the bed. "Harlow, you shouldn't run off." Pushing to sit at the edge of the mattress, he says, "Stay. Let me ... fuck, I don't know. Set up a bath for you, or ... just stay here. It was intense. Wasn't it intense?"

It was. It was so intense that I'm suddenly second-guessing everything that brought me here.

As I gather my things to leave, I'm not sure if being with Finn is an escape, or a new dangerous obsession.

This is the second novel in the Wild Seasons series, the first being Sweet Filthy Boy, which I reviewed back in June. Despite the somewhat R-rated title names, all of Christina Lauren's books are great reads, and I always enjoy reviewing them; I made it through this novel in about two days flat.

Official synopsis:
Despite their rowdy hookups, Harlow and Finn don’t even like each other ... which would explain why their marriage lasted only twelve hours. He needs to be in charge and takes whatever he wants. She lives by the Want-something-done? Do-it-yourself mantra. Maybe she’s too similar to the rugged fisherman - or just what he needs.

credit: Christina Lauren Facebook page

That's a pretty short synopsis, but the book actually juggles some complex characters. Harlow has just found out that her mom has stage three breast cancer, and the prognosis isn't good. She runs in to Finn, who normally lives in Canada - he's in town for their mutual friend Oliver's comic book store opening. Finn and Harlow start hooking up again, but they both have secrets - Finn's family fishing business may be shutting down, since their boats have major problems, unless he agrees to star on a reality show that he and his family have been pitched, which he really doesn't want to do.

The whole gang from Sweet Filthy Boy is back in this installment: Ansel and Mia (the couple whom the first novel focused on), Lola and Oliver, and Harlow and Finn, whom this novel is primarily about (Lola and Oliver will have their story told in Dark Wild Night, which is out in September 2015). Christina Lauren (actually two authors, writing together) like to carry over characters in their series', which is also fun, since we get to "check in" with other favorite characters and see what they're up to, albeit briefly.

Even though this novel is part of a series, it could also be read as a stand-alone book, though I do recommend reading Sweet Filthy Boy first. I may like Dirty Rowdy Thing even more than SFB, but both are fun reads.

4.5 stars out of 5.
{to pre-order this book, click here}
{to buy Sweet Filthy Boy, click here}

*Disclosure: I received an Advance Reader Copy (ARC) of this book for reviewing purposes. The opinions expressed here, however, are my own.

Side note: for those who are fans of Christina Lauren's Beautiful series, Beautiful Beloved (e-short) will be out in February 2015, and Beautiful Secret in April 2015.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share buttons

About

Welcome to Books I Think You Should Read, which focuses on book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, and more.
Get new posts by email:

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Liz has read 0 books toward her goal of 20 books.
hide

Blog Archive