Friday, March 29, 2013

Walking Disaster

Walking Disaster, by Jamie McGuire.

"It's not like that," Shepley said, exasperated. It's different with Mare. She's the one."

"You know that after a couple of months?" I asked, dubious.

"I knew it when I saw her."

I shook my head. I hated it when he was like this. Unicorns and butterflies flying out of his ass and hearts floating up int he air. He always ended up getting his heart broken, and then I had to make sure he didn't drink himself to death for six months solid. America seemed to like it, though.

Whatever. No woman could make me blubber and get slobbering drunk over losing her. If they didn't stick around, they weren't worth it anyway.


Back at the end of September 2012, I reviewed Beautiful Disaster, and loved it. I gave it 4.5 out of 5 stars. Walking Disaster is that same story, but retold from the male main character's point-of-view (Travis). Weirdly enough, even though it was the same story, I ended up not liking it as much, although the ending was definitely interesting as it was different from Beautiful Disaster's.
Walking Disaster Jamie McGuire Travis POV

Official synopsis:
How much is too much to love? Travis Maddox learned two things from his mother before she died: Love hard. Fight harder.

In Walking Disaster, the life of Travis is full of fast women, underground gambling, and violence. Just when he thought he was invincible, Abby Abernathy brings him to his knees.

Every story has two sides. In Jamie McGuire's New York Times bestseller Beautiful Disaster, Abby had her say. Now it's time to see the story through Travis's eyes.
-

I think part of the reason I liked Beautiful Disaster better was that it was from Abby's point-of-view, and was more expressive. In Walking Disaster, the author sometimes skips over parts or almost makes them less significant, because she is assuming that her readers have read the previous book; however, it can also be a "standalone" novel too, if you haven't read it - reading the previous one just enhances the experience.

I warmed up to the book a little more throughout it, though, and of course I didn't altogether dislike it - it's the same story as Beautiful Disaster, after all, just told through a different set of eyes.

I'd like to re-do my "fantasy casting" from the previous post, as well. I had chosen Amanda Seyfried for Abby, but I think she would be better suited as Mare; Mare is blonde. I think Abby is brunette but I'm not sure. I could see Lucy Hale (Aria from Pretty Little Liars) as Abby, but there are probably a lot of other choices too.

I still stand by my choice of Michael Trevino (Tyler from Vampire Diaries) for Travis, but I pictured someone a bit more wiry/skinny for the role, although muscular as well since he fights a lot. I believe Travis is 20-22 in the book and his best friend, roommate, and cousin, Shepley, is 18 and a freshman; America and Abby are sophomores, around 19.

Walking Disaster will be in stores on April 2nd. 3.5 stars out of 5.

*Disclosure: I received a NetGalley of this book to review. The opinions expressed here, however, are my own.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share buttons

About

Welcome to Books I Think You Should Read, which focuses on book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, and more.
Get new posts by email:

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Liz has read 0 books toward her goal of 20 books.
hide

Blog Archive