Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Quick Pick book review: Paper Ghosts, by Julia Heaberlin

Quick Pick book review: Paper Ghosts, by Julia Heaberlin
  • Opening lines: When she was twelve, my sister fell into a grave.

    We were two children by ourselves in an empty cemetery, old stones jutting out of the ground in all directions. The grass was dead, the same straw color as my sister's hair. I remember the terrific flutter in my chest. How her fingertips barely brushed mine when I reached my little hand down to try to pull her out. It was freshly dug earth, waiting.

    She was laughing down in that hole.

    I was five.
  • Reason I picked up the book: I've read books by Julia Heaberlin before, and they are always fantastic and full of suspense.
  • And what's this book about?
  • Carl Louis Feldman is an old man who was once a celebrated photographer. That was before he was tried for the murder of a young woman and acquitted. before his admission to a care home for dementia. Now his daughter has come to see him, to take him on a trip. Only she's not his daughter and, if she has her way, he's not coming back . . .

    Because Carl's past has finally caught up with him. The young woman driving the car is convinced her passenger is guilty, and that he's killed, other young women. Including her sister Rachel. Now they're following the trail of his photographs, his clues, his alleged crimes. To see if he remembers any of it. Confesses to any of it. To discover what really happened to Rachel. Has Carl truly forgotten what he did or is he just pretending? Perhaps he's guilty of nothing and she's the liar. Either way in driving him into the Texan wilderness she's taking a terrible risk. For if Carl really is a serial killer, she's alone in the most dangerous place of all . . .

  • Recommended for: Anyone who enjoys mysteries with a lot of twists and turns.
  • Favorite paragraph: Old serial killers who roam free have to land somewhere, of course. I've thought about this a lot. They must get tired. Decide to pamper roses or grandchildren. Break hips and suffer heart attacks. Go impotent. Run out of money. Don't see the car coming. Put guns to their heads.

    The killers who publicly beat the system, and the unseen monsters who are never caught and slip around silent, pulsing background music. Screeching oboes and pounding drums. Only a few ever hear their soundtrack, right at the very end, and then it's too late.

    It took a long, long time to find the man I believe killed my sister. Years. Dozens of interviews. Hundreds of suspects. Thousands of documents. Reading, stalking, stealing. It's been a singular, no-holds-barred obsession since I was twelve and my sister's bike didn't make it the three miles in broad daylight from our house to her summer babysitting job. It was
    morning.
    • Something to know: You will probably be surprised at the ending of this book - I know I was. 
    • What I would have changed: Nothing I can think of.
    • Overall rating: 4 stars out of 5.
    • Where can I find this book? Click here to purchase on Amazon.
    *Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from NetGalley for reviewing purposes. The opinions expressed here, however, are my own.

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    Share buttons

    About

    Welcome to Books I Think You Should Read, which focuses on book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, and more.
    Get new posts by email:

    2024 Reading Challenge

    2024 Reading Challenge
    Liz has read 0 books toward her goal of 20 books.
    hide

    Blog Archive