Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Book Review: A Gate of Night (A Shade of Vampire #6)

A Gate of Night, by Bella Forrest.

"Just do it. All you need to know is that this time tomorrow, the real vampires take over." Fear flashed in her expression. "They will want food and drinks. Or their version of it. And, of course, plenty of entertainment."

My heart fell. All hope I had of creating a new vision for our home melted away. Her words were clear enough.

The Elders were coming to take over The Shade and the horrifying reality sank into me, as well as my companions.

We were their food.

We were their drink.

We were their entertainment.

This novel (#6 in the Shade of Vampire series) was written from many characters' POVs, and the above is from Vivienne, Derek's sister. On Goodreads, someone mentioned something like "this novel is the most tense in the series," and I would agree with that; all of the characters are in peril, and none more than Sofia, who has been imprisoned at The Blood Keep (evil vampires' lair, basically) and is also pregnant with twins.

Official synopsis:
Welcome back to The Shade ...

Derek and Sofia are finally enjoying a well-deserved break. Staying at a resort with good food, sun and sea, Sofia is thrilled to witness Derek’s re-introduction to the human world.

They would almost be mistaken for a normal young couple, if it were not for the red-eyed monster lurking in the shadows and watching their every move, waiting for his signal to pounce ...
-

Bella ForrestThere is definitely a reason that Bella Forrest has 50,000+ followers on her Facebook page, and that's because this series is fantastic. I've been fortunate enough to review all of the books in the series so far (see below for full set of links), and this was maybe the best as of yet, although we don't get a lot of Derek and Sofia time since they are separated.

The Shade has been taken over by bad vampires, who have still left Vivenne, the Shade's Queen, in charge, but she basically has to do what they tell her to do. Meanwhile, the Elders (who run The Blood Keep, where Sofia is), are planning on crashing the party as well. Derek is kinda being held captive at the Ageless's compound (a woman who seems to like yoga and meditation) - he's eventually able to leave but not for a while. He also doesn't know that Sofia is pregnant, but the Ageless and everyone in contact with her knows.

My only complaint about this novel was the ending - it's definitely a cliffhanger! Very smart of the author, but a little frustrating for the reader. Other than that, I enjoyed this novel a lot, as I have all of the previous books in the series, and am looking forward to book #7, hopefully sometime soon.

4.5 stars out of 5.

*Disclosure: I was given an e-copy of this novel to review by the author. The opinions expressed here, however, are my own.

Check out my reviews of all the novels in the Shade of Vampire series!

13 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really good series, thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, I had to chuckle that the author's pen name is Bella Forrest, hehe. This sounds like an easy read and interesting series to quell Twilight fans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very different from Twilight, though: more complex characters/situations and the writing is a lot better :).

      Delete
  3. I've read the previous 5 books in this series, thanks for the review of #6!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! This is one of my favorite vampire series.

      Delete
  4. Sounds very entertaining - might be a great travel read

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a really interesting book

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaaah, but a good cliffhanger keeps you coming back for more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, but now I have to wait for the next book in the series! :)

      Delete
  7. This sounds interesting. I haven't read any books about vampires in at least a year so I think I'll check this out. Starting at the beginning of the series of course!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh.. I haven't heard of this series before but it sounds like something I'd really like! - Katy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never been into vampire novels....well, other than Twilight....but I do really like series books. Might need to check this one out if my TBR pile ever dwindles down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't talk to me about my TBR piles :P between actual copies and NetGalley copies I have maybe 50+ books.

      Delete

Share buttons

About

Welcome to Books I Think You Should Read, which focuses on book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, and more.
Get new posts by email:

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Liz has read 0 books toward her goal of 20 books.
hide

Blog Archive