Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Book Review: Switched

Switched, by Cassie Mae.

So much for having an accomplice on this thing. I'm not sure how I'll do on my own, but he's not getting any more help from me. And there's no one else I can really talk toa bout it because it comes off pretty bitchy. I can't exactly go up and say "Hey! Help me steal my best friend's boyfriend. I promise I have good reasons." Because even though I've convinced myself I do have good reasons, no one gives a rat's ass about it. 

Except Wesley. Damn it. 

I received this book from NetGalley recently and wasn't planning on writing an "official review," but this novel surprised me so much (in a good way) that I now feel compelled to write one. It started off kind of awkwardly but finished nicely, and although you can probably guess the ending just from the synopsis, there were some great scenes within the book to get us there.

Official synopsis:
New AdultEver since high school, Kayla has been crazy for gorgeous football player Talon. But before she could muster the courage to tell him, he became a hot item with her beautiful BFF, Reagan. The only person who knows Kayla’s secret is Wesley, Talon’s best bud—and he’s got it bad for Reagan. Now they’re all in college together, hanging out 24/7. For Kayla, seeing the two lovebirds together is absolutely unbearable. So Kayla and Wesley hatch a plot to drive them apart before Talon has a chance to give Reagan the Christmas gift she’s been waiting for.

Soon enough, the once happy couple is fighting. Reagan suddenly can’t get enough of Wesley’s goofy sense of humor, and Talon seems to be paying more attention to Kayla than a guy who’s “only a friend” ever should. But just when everything seems to be falling into place, Kayla and Wesley accidentally spend a night together and discover a hitch in their plan they never considered: that switching partners may not lead to a perfect ending after all.
-

This novel had a mini twist at the end that I liked but didn't necessarily see coming. Before that, though, Kayla and her friend Wesley are pining for Talon and Reagan, respectively - THEIR best friends - and Kayla and Wesley hatch a devious plan to break them up.

I loved all the little details in the novel. Wesley works at Yogurtland and always smells like gummy bears (yum!). When Kayla visits his house she thinks to herself that it smells like a dessert palace, that being also like gummy bears and yogurt. You can already tell throughout the novel that even though Kayla is pining over Talon (who names their kid Talon, by the way???), and Wesley wants to end up with Reagan, that Kayla and Wesley would actually be perfect for each other instead.

I also really liked that although they are in the midst of this devious plan, everyone in the novel acts like how teens DO act - as college freshman (18 and 19-year-olds) their actions are appropriate with their behaviors, for the most part, and we can see why Kayla thinks she likes Talon so much; the same goes for Wesley and Reagan.

And this might not be relevant, but even though this book is NA (New Adult - like YA, but with some R-rated scenes), my favorite scene was actually one where Wesley and Kayla were trying to "practice" kissing each other, so that Wesley would be "prepared' to kiss Reagan - it was extremely hot and wasn't even R-rated, for the most part - more like PG-13.

4.5 stars out of 5.

*Disclosure: I received an e-copy of this novel for reviewing purposes. The opinions expressed here, however, are my own.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share buttons

About

Welcome to Books I Think You Should Read, which focuses on book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, and more.
Get new posts by email:

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Liz has read 0 books toward her goal of 20 books.
hide

Blog Archive