- Opening lines: A police officer shines a blinding light in my eyes. "Do you know why I pulled you over?"
To ruin what's left of my miserable life?
- Reason I picked up the book: Kami Garcia is the co-author of Beautiful Creatures, a book series that I really enjoyed.
- And what's this book about? I’ve become an expert at avoiding things that could hurt me—which means I will figure out how to stay away from Marco Leone.
- Favorite paragraph:
My heart aches. "Me too. But that doesn't change anything."
"We've been through this. I'm the daughter-"
"Of a cop, and I'm a car thief, he says softly. "But if I wasn't?" Marco watches me. He's playing what if, and I already know how the game ends.
"Are you saying you stopped stealing cars?" I already knows the answer.
He frowns and bites his cracked lip.
- Recommended for: Anyone who likes family tales and also family secrets; also for those who like "chick lit."
- Something to know: I found this to be more serious than Giffin's other books; it deals with a family tragedy and the aftermath of that.
- What I would have changed: Some of it was very YA-ish but overall, it was written very well.
- Overall rating: 4 out of 5 stars.
- Where can I find this book? Click here to pre-order on Amazon - it will be released on October 4th. You can also read the first five chapters here, for free.
Seventeen-year-old Frankie Devereux would do anything to forget the past. Haunted by the memory of her boyfriend’s death, she lives her life by one dangerous rule: Nothing matters. At least, that’s what Frankie tells herself after a reckless mistake forces her to leave her privileged life in the Heights to move in with her dad—an undercover cop. She transfers to a public high school in the Downs, where fistfights don’t faze anyone and illegal street racing is more popular than football.
Marco Leone is the fastest street racer in the Downs. Tough, sexy, and hypnotic, he makes it impossible for Frankie to ignore him—and how he makes her feel. But the risks Marco takes for his family could have devastating consequences for them both. When Frankie discovers his secret, she has to make a choice. Will she let the pain of the past determine her future? Or will she risk what little she has left to follow her heart?