Sunday, January 20, 2019

Quick Pick book review: Puddin', by Julie Murphy {companion novel to Dumplin'}

  • Opening lines: I'm a list maker. Write it down. (Using my gel pens and a predetermined color scheme, of course.) Make it happen. Scratch it off. There is no greater satisfaction than a notebook full of beautifully executed lists. 
  • Reason I picked up the book: Dumplin' was excellent, as was the recent Netflix movie, and this is the companion novel to it - Willowdean (star of Dumplin') makes a few appearances, but this is mostly a story about Millie, one of Willowdean's friends. 
  • And what's this book about?
  • The irresistible companion to the #1 New York Times bestseller Dumplin’, now a Netflix feature film starring Danielle Macdonald and Jennifer Aniston, and a soundtrack by Dolly Parton!

    Millie Michalchuk has gone to fat camp every year since she was a little girl. Not this year. This year she has new plans to chase her secret dream of being a newscaster—and to kiss the boy she’s crushing on.

    Callie Reyes is the pretty girl who is next in line for dance team captain and has the popular boyfriend. But when it comes to other girls, she’s more frenemy than friend.

    When circumstances bring the girls together over the course of a semester, they surprise everyone (especially themselves) by realizing that they might have more in common than they ever imagined.

    A story about unexpected friendship, romance, and Texas-size girl power, this is another winner from Julie Murphy.
  • Recommended for: Anyone who enjoys YA stories and/or books with a good message.
  • Favorite paragraph: If Malik's nervous, it doesn't show. His head tilts to the side as he pulls me closer to him, holding me tight. It's way too warm out to have this many goose bumps, but my body defies science as Malik's lips meet mine. I almost forget to breathe through my nose as he deepens the kiss and combs his fingers through my hair.

    I can have it all. I decide in that moment. Everything I want can be had. 
    • Something to know: Nothing, really. I hope Netflix makes this one into a movie too! It's such a cute story.
    • What I would have changed: I'll admit that the ending is a LITTLE too "HEA" than I would have expected, but I still liked it.
    • Overall rating: 4 stars out of 5.
    • Where can I find this book? Click here to purchase on Amazon.

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    Share buttons

    About

    Welcome to Books I Think You Should Read, which focuses on book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, and more.
    Get new posts by email:

    2024 Reading Challenge

    2024 Reading Challenge
    Liz has read 0 books toward her goal of 20 books.
    hide

    Blog Archive