Monday, January 8, 2018

Quick Pick book review: Surprise Me, by Sophie Kinsella

  • Opening lines: I have this secret little vocabulary for my husband. Words I've invented, just to describe him. I've never even told him about them: They just pop into my head now and then.
  • Reason I picked up the book: I'm a huge Sophie Kinsella fan (especially the Shopaholic series) and her books are usually witty and funny.
  • And what's this book about?
  • After being together for ten years, Sylvie and Dan have all the trimmings of a happy life and marriage; they have a comfortable home, fulfilling jobs, beautiful twin girls, and communicate so seamlessly, they finish each other's sentences. However, a trip to the doctor projects they will live another 68 years together and panic sets in. They never expected "until death do us part" to mean seven decades.

    In the name of marriage survival, they quickly concoct a plan to keep their relationship fresh and exciting: they will create little surprises for each other so that their (extended) years together will never become boring. But in their pursuit to execute Project Surprise Me, mishaps arise and secrets are uncovered that start to threaten the very foundation of their unshakable bond. When a scandal from the past is revealed that question some important untold truths, they begin to wonder if they ever really knew each other after all.
  • Recommended for: Anyone who likes "chick lit" or a fun read. 
  • Favorite paragraph: There he is in the mirror. My handsome, youthful husband. But what's he going to look like in sixty-eight years' time? I have a sudden dismaying image of Dan all elderly and wizened, batting at me with a stick and yelling, "Humbug, woman, humbug!" 

    Which is ridiculous. He'll be old. Not Ebenezer Scrooge. 
  • Something to know: Kinsella writes other books (standalone ones, like this one) besides the Shopaholic series - I reviewed My Not So Perfect Life recently, too.
  • What I would have changed: It's a little strange how Sylvie calls her father "Daddy" (more of what a little girl would do), since she's a grown woman. Otherwise, wouldn't have changed anything.
  • Overall rating: 4 out of 5 stars.
  • Where can I find this book? Click here to order on Amazon - it will be online and in stores on February 13, 2018.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share buttons

About

Welcome to Books I Think You Should Read, which focuses on book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, and more.
Get new posts by email:

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Liz has read 0 books toward her goal of 20 books.
hide

Blog Archive