Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Book Review: Psychos, by Babe Walker

Review by: Gwendolyn Mulholland

Running away to Paris was more than just a method of escaping the sick joke my life in Los Angeles had become; it was my way of truly rehabbing myself. Cirque had been a way for me to take a breather and examine my life choices, get some perspective, and lose some weight, but at the end of the day, did I really have a "shopping problem"? Mp. Was I a "drug addict"? Never. Did l like doing drugs? Absolutely. Did I have "anger issues"? Who doesn't? It was time to embrace my true self: The Babe who stole an Hermes cuff from Neiman's before she could walk. The Babe who would always be a little bit in love with Lance Bass. The Babe who sued Genevieve when she was sixteen for buying the same color prom dress as her. The real Babe is a woman who needs to shop and sleep late and roll her eyes at people who won't let her smoke cigarettes inside.

Psychos is the follow up book to White Girl Problems, a New York Times bestseller. It follows Babe Walker, a bored and snarky LA-based socialite turned author and blogger fresh out of rehab. The one thing she has not picked up in rehab is a filter; she is still full of comments, and her "me" attitude is worse than it was before.

Official Synopsis:

Fresh from a four-month stint in rehab for her “alleged” shopping addiction, Babe Walker returns home to Bel Air ten pounds lighter (thanks to a stomach virus), having made amends (she told a counselor with bad skin she was smart) and confronted her past (after meeting her birth mother for the first time—a fashion model turned farmer lesbian). Although delighted to be home and determined to maintain her hard-won inner peace, Babe now faces a host of outside forces seemingly intent on derailing her path to positive change. Not only is she being trailed by an anonymous stalker, but she’s also reunited with the love of her life, a relationship that she cannot seem to stop self-sabotaging.

Babe’s newfound spirituality, coupled with her faith in the universe and its messages, leads her all over the world: shoulder dancing in Paris, tripping out in Amsterdam, and hooking up in the Mediterranean, only to land her back in New York City, forced to choose between a man who is perfect in every way (except for one small detail) and a man who could be The One if only he didn’t drive Babe to utter insanity.


I had not read the White Girl Problems book but had heard great things from my sister. Once I picked up Psychos, I couldn't put it down, it was so absolutely funny that I had to keep reading. I actually started to feel bad for Babe in all her efforts to try and get better - things just kept falling apart. Even though she was self-centered and thought about herself, she just makes you want to feel sorry for her; the thought of her running halfway around the world to get away from a stalker, only to find herself stalked there also. I like that it is written from her point of view and it leads to the drama of the story. I would recommend it for anyone looking for a light read and I want to read the first book because I think it will be just as funny as this one.

I give the book a 4 out of 5 because it is not a serious read, and some things just get a little old after the first few times.

*Disclosure: I received a copy of this novel for reviewing purposes. The opinions expressed here, however, are my own.


Gwendolyn Mulholland is a stay-at-home mom who loves to read, but struggles to find enough hours in the day to do so. Although her Kindle gets a lot of use, she still prefers the touch and smell of a book in her hands. She writes for Finding Sanity In Our Crazy Life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share buttons

About

Welcome to Books I Think You Should Read, which focuses on book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, and more.
Get new posts by email:

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Liz has read 0 books toward her goal of 20 books.
hide

Blog Archive